Just do it! Get some sleep! Sleep is one of the most important things we can do to improve our overall health, even with good nutrition and training our fitness efforts will get blunted without enough sleep.
When we are sleep deprived we cause a myriad of crazy chemical problems that lead to a bunch of diseases among the leaders of those diseases is cancer. While there are a lot of other cancer causes out there and no one is exactly sure of all the causes, if there are some definite things, like getting adequate sleep, we can do to help guard against them I’m going to implement those things!
Now, as I understand it, our paleo ancestors didn’t have alarm clocks to worry about or bosses that expected them somewhere at a certain time, they also didn’t have artificial light sources. The went to sleep when it got dark and they woke up when they woke up. Sound nice! But we do have alarm clocks, artificial light and jobs that demand us to be on a rigid schedule. So what are we to do?
Well, I think that, as much as possible:
- Get to bed earlier
- Make the bedroom as dark as possible (cover every light source)
- Get on a schedule
- Set a time to stop any caffeine intake for the day
- Do whatever it takes to help you relax to sleep
Here are some pretty cool links to sleep related articles:
- A very cool info graphic: http://inoveryourhead.net/images/sleep-is-awesome.png
- How to get better sleep: http://robbwolf.com/2010/12/31/easy-ways-to-be-a-sleep-viking-in-2011/
- Robb Wolf relating with a good testimonial for sleep: http://robbwolf.com/2008/01/02/sleepintermittent-fasting/
- Book with an excellent section on sleep: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982565844?ie=UTF8&tag=robwol-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0982565844
- A book on why sleep is important: http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sleep-Sugar-Survival/dp/0671038680
- An article on what sleep deprivation can do: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/08/AR2005100801405.html
If you google sleep deprivation and disease you can find far more detailed reasons and studies that lead to one point - Get more sleep!